Selasa, 20 Juli 2010

Toyota FJ Cruiser

The 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I had this for several days, and I only wish I could have this vehicle on my planned vacation in Colorado--this would be perfect for mountain passes. I felt a little bad about having this for so long and not being able to challenge it off-roading. But I did drive it to and from work.

First of all, I think its styling is very retro and the black matte hood sticker adds even more of a throwback look. Then, after taking a closer look, you see the meaty tires and heavy-duty suspension and you realize this vehicle could be a whole lot of fun. The outside might be a little too busy for some, but I think most will dig it.

On the inside, I was not surprised too much by the looks. It's simple with floors that look as if they can be hosed down if needed. The gauges were rounded, and Toyota throws in a little plastic with the exact same exterior color in the middle. They have some faux metal-looking material inside, giving it a feeling of toughness. But the radio sounded tinny to me, even after adjusting all the settings. The seats were comfy, which is good if you get moved around a lot on an off-road excursion.

On the highway, you can tell this vehicle was set up more for the two tracks. Straight line felt fine, but going around corners obviously isn't as smooth as most vehicles and had a tugging feeling. Off the line, there isn't a ton of punch from the V6, but once up to speed it's fine. There is plenty of room for hauling, and it would be way cooler to bring the kids to a soccer game in this instead of a humdrum SUV.

Overall, I like this, and if I lived near the mountains this would be on my shopping list. But since I live near Detroit and don't get to go off-roading enough, I probably would pass on this FJ Cruiser because I would be tossing money out the window on these pricey upgrades and not be able to use them often enough.

NEWS EDITOR GREG MIGLIORE: I liked this FJ Cruiser from my first turn of the key. The retro looks are quirky and cool, though this really seems like something that would have been a great H4 for Hummer.

But I digress. The engine has plenty of power, and I had no trouble passing on the expressway. Takeoffs from launch on wet pavement were also fun, and these big BF Goodrich tires offer plenty of traction and fun. Plus, stopping this ute is not an issue with the solid brakes. The steering has a satisfying weight to it, too.

I liked the safari interior. The colors looked sharp, and the plastics and materials felt pleasing. The white gauges have a bit of a green hue at night and light up brightly. Plus there's a big compass on the dash. Kind of cool, I think. The back seat is a bit uncomfortable, but this is hardly a minivan.

Outside, this ute is marked by the prominent circular headlights and the giant tire on the back. It's a fun package for a reasonable price. I could have some serious fun in this.

2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Base Price: $26,070

As-Tested Price: $33,363

Drivetrain: 4.0-liter V6; 4WD, five-speed automatic

Output: 259 hp @ 5,600 rpm, 270 lb-ft @ 4,400 rpm

Curb Weight: 4,295 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 19/17.3 mpg

Options: Trail Teams special-edition package with Sandstorm exterior, hood blackout, blackout mirrors, bumper ends, door handles and grille, TRD beadlock-style alloy wheels with BF Goodrich all-terrain tires, trail-tuned Bilstein shock absorbers, active traction control, locking rear differential, rock rails, premium sound, auxiliary audio jack, leather-wrapped steering wheel with integrated audio controls, remote keyless entry system, cruise control, power outside mirrors with illuminated markers, rear privacy glass, rear wiper, backup camera linked to mirror with integrated backup camera monitor, 115V AC power outlet, exterior color-keyed door-trim inserts and instrument panel, fabric seat inserts, multi-information display, floating ball type (inclinometer, compass, temperature), daytime running lights, wheels locks, trail teams badge ($6,695); towing hitch and wire harness ($3,49); passenger-side armrest ($125); courtesy delivery ($75); stainless-steel exhaust tip ($49)

Design by infinityskins.blogspot.com 2007-2008